Ramazan

So it was the beginning of Ramazan the day I was sick so I thought I'd give some insight into what its like here.
First a brief intro on Ramazan. It is a month where most Muslims fast during the day. By day I mean when the sun is up. They only eat when it's dark out.

There are a good deal of people who do not though. I am one. Whatever I have whether its a blood sugar problem or whatever, I always need to keep food in my stomach. Turkey is also filled with smokers. Smoking is considered eating/drinking so it is not allowed during the day. Many smokers cannot handle this so they just do not fast.

Every morning a band of drummers goes out around 3ish to wake everyone up so that they can eat.

The people who are going to fast wake up and eat, then they go to bed and wait out the day.
Come the breaking of the fast the entire family thats available eats together after the mosque announces the setting of the sun. Usually a fig is available as the first thing to eat. I'm not sure why but store keepers will even offer them to people walking by on the street and customers.


Read Users' Comments (1)comments

1 Response to "Ramazan"

  1. Unknown, on August 24, 2009 at 2:21 AM said:

    WONDERFUL - MORE

    TUS

Post a Comment